After a day of sampling one (or five..) too many test batches of new dessert recipes and soft-baked biscotti flavors, my body starts rebelling and urges me to purge myself of all the sugar its ingested. My quickest, sure-fire way to do this? A good, sweaty workout and my daily morning smoothie.
- Frozen organic fruit (I use banana or a mixed berry blend)- it's important that it's frozen because this is what gives the smoothie its thick body. If you don't have frozen fruit you can always add a little ice but this way ultimately water down the flavor. Half of a banana and a small handful of berries is a nice blend- Half Banana & Handful Berries
- Organic peanut butter, no salt added- chunky or smooth, whatever suits you is fine here. I use chunky because I like the added texture it provides. You could certainly use almond butter or any other nut butter here- ~1T
- Kale for days- stems and all! I add them in for heft and fiber. Spinach would also work here as does chard. I would stay away from a green like arugula since it has a pepper-y bite that may not jive with the breakfast vibe -Handful Fresh Kale
- Almond milk- any milk is fine here. I just found that my stomach got upset by cow's milk in the morning so I switched to unsweetened almond milk- ~1/2-3/4 Cup
- Optional: splash of orange juice, flax seeds, chia seeds, protein powder....possibilities are ENDLESS!
Layer ingredients in a blender: liquid, greens, frozen fruit, peanut butter. Blend until smooth! Note: if it's too chunky or has trouble blending add a bit more liquid until desired consistency is achieved.
I drink this every morning and the day just don't feel right if I don't. Enjoy your detox!